DR. PRABHAKAR BASAVAPRABHU KORE B.Com. D. Litt.
Chairman, KLE Society, Belagavi
Chancellor, KLE Academy of Higher Education & Research (KAHER), Belagavi
Chancellor, KLE Technological University, Hubballi
A multi-faceted personality with significant contributions in Education, Agriculture, Healthcare, the Cooperative Sector, Politics and Community Welfare – making a mark on the State, National & International scenario; an individual whose life & efforts have been dedicated to “Transforming Lives through Education, Healthcare & Research”
- Three time Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha; 1990-1996, 2008-2014 & 2014-2020
- Member, Parliamentary Committees for Ministry of Defence, Human Resource Development, Health and Family Welfare, Consultative Committee, Education, Railways, Hindi Prasara, Planning, Agriculture, Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, Transport, Tourism & Culture, Food Consumer Affairs & Public Distribution, Urban Development and Energy, Subordinate Legislation, etc
- Official Member of the Delegation of the State visit of Shri Pranab Mukherjee, Honourable President of India, to Belgium and Turkey, 2013
- Member of the delegation accompanying Honourable Vice-President, Dr. Hamid Ansari on a visit to Hungary and Algeria, 2016
- Member of Indian Parliamentarian Study visit to Indonesia
- 2001 – 2007 Member, Karnataka Legislative Council
- Presently Vice-President of All India Veerashaiva Mahasabha, Bengaluru
- Presently Member of the Karnataka Veerashaiva-Lingayat Development Corporation (KVLDC)
AS AN EDUCATIONIST:
- Chairman, KLE Society, Belagavi since 1984. Under his leadership KLE has grown from 38 institutions into an organization of global repute with 290 institutions, 1,38,000 students and has made noteworthy contributions in Education, Healthcare, Research and Agriculture.
- Established the multi-disciplinary KAHER – KLE Academy of Higher Education and Research (Deemed-to-be-University), Belagavi in 2006
- Established the KLE Technological University (KLE TECH), Hubballi in 2015
- Provided impetus to Research in Medicine, Pharmacy, Biotechnology, etc. by establishing a state-of-the-art Research centre at the KAHER Campus
- Established 2 Community Radio Stations, one each at Hubballi and Belagavi
- Established state-of-the-art English Medium Schools in the rural areas of Ankali, Chikodi, Athani, Gokak, Nipani, Saundatti and Malur
- Established partnership of KAHER with the Khelo India initiative (Govt. of India) for promotion of Judo, Badminton & Swimming. The centre takes care of the training needs of athletes in preparation for the Olympics
CONTRIBUTIONS TO HEALTHCARE & COMMUNITY WELFARE :
- Revolutionized healthcare in North Karnataka and surrounding areas by establishing a state-of-the-art 2400 bed Hospital & Medical Research Centre. The Hospital which is also a recognized organ donation centre, caters to the needs of about 70,000 inpatients and 9 Lakhs outpatients, annually. The 1200 bed Charitable section at the hospital is dedicated to the poor and needy
- Established the 500 beds KLE Centenary Charitable Hospital, Yellur Road, Belagavi to extend affordable health care services to villages around Belagavi
- Established Satellite Health Centres at – Hubballi, Gokak, Bailhongal, Nipani, Ankola (North Canara District) and Intensive Care Units (ICUs) at Hubballi, Gokak and Chikodi
- Established KLE’s Ayurveda Hospital to promote treatment and research in traditional medicine
- Envisioned and initiated the establishment of an ultra-modern Cancer Hospital at Belagavi
- Established the Jagadguru Gangadhar Murusavirmath Medical College and KLE Hospital at Hubballi
- In pursuance of the goal of bringing modern health care services to Tier-II cities and villages, Dr.Kore has established a cumulative health care capacity of over 4000 beds
- Placed KLE on the global map through the research and community health care activities of JNMC Women’s and Children’s Health Research Unit which as a part of the global network initiative of the National Institute of Health, USA, is contributing to path breaking research in Maternal and New Born Health Care. Institutions of KLE also have research and collaborative associations with renowned international organizations like National Institute of Health (NIH), USA, WHO, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, etc.
FACILITATOR OF INTERNATIONAL COLLABORATIONS IN EDUCATION & RESEARCH:
Ushered in an era of International Collaborations, especially in Health Science, Healthcare & Medical Research by facilitating projects and partnerships with
- Thomas Jefferson University (TJU), Philadelphia USA
- University of Illinois, Chicago – USA, University of Michigan – USA
- University of Missouri – USA, Sunderland University, UK
- Universiti Sains Malaysia – USM – Malaysia,
- Copperbelt University at Republic of Zambia
- Rhodes University, South Africa, Middlesex University, UK
- University of Birmingham, Alabama – USA
- Christina Care Health Services, Delaware – USA
- Vanderbilt University, Nashville – USA
- University of Colorado, Denver – USA
- John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health – USA
- Harvard School of Public Health, Boston – USA
- University of California at San Francisco – USA
CONTRIBUTIONS TO AGRICULTURE AND THE CO-OPERATIVE MOVEMENT:
- Established ICAR-KLE Krishi Vigyan Kendra at Mattikopp, Belagavi in 2011 to conduct research and to educate & train farmers in scientific farming practices
- Established KLE School of Agriculture to promote scientific farming as a career among children from families with an agricultural background
- Spearheaded the Co-operative Movement in the Border Region of Karnataka and Maharashtra with the Chidanand Basaprabhu Kore Co-operative Sugar Factory, Chikodi, Karnataka, which has emerged as a Model Sugar Factory and has contributed immensely to the well-being of the farmers in the region.
- Worked as Director, National Federation of Cooperative Sugar Factories Limited, New Delhi
- Championed the cause of financial support to farmers through the Dr. Prabhakar Kore Credit Souhard Sahakari Ltd; Ankali established in 1988 at Ankali, Tq.Chikodi, Dist. Belagavi. Today the bank has 46 branches across Karnataka, has financed irrigation for over 1000 farmers and housing loans to over 800 farmers
- Instrumental in the establishment of Rani Channamma Mahila Sahakari Bank Niyamit, Belagavi, Karnataka.
INDUSTRIALIST AND ENTREPRENEUR:
- Established Shivashakti Sugars Ltd. at Saundatti in Raibag Taluka of Belagavi District in Karnataka, using the most modern technology
- Director, VRL Logistics, Hubballi – a leading Company in Transport & Travel.
- Founder Director, Rajkumar Forge Ltd., Pune.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS AN ORGANIZER:
- Successfully organized sessions of the Karnataka Legislative Assembly twice, at KLE J.N.Medical College campus, Belagavi: in September 2006 & January 2009
- Chairman of the Reception Committee for the mega event “Vishwa Kannada Sammelana” held at Belagavi, March, 2011 which was inaugurated by Industrial Tycoon Shri Narayan Murthy, Infosys, Honourable Chief Minister of Karnataka – Shri B.S. Yadiyurappa along with Noted Film Star Aishwarya Rai, and attended by host of dignitaries and Kannadigas from across the world.
- President, Reception Committee of the 21st Convention of All India Veerashaiva Mahasabha held at Belagavi
- Chairman, Reception Committee, 70th Kannada Sahitya Sammelana, Belagavi-2003
- Chairman, 5th Akhil Bharat Sharana Sahitya Parishat, Belagavi, 2003
- Played a pivotal role in the establishment of the, “Suvarna Vidhan Soudha”, Belagavi, wherein the Winter Session of the Karnataka Legislature is conducted every year
- Instrumental in the upgradation of the Kannada Bhavan at Belagavi. The premises now hosts a modern theatre for drama and two theatres for screening of films, thus providing a platform for promotion of Kannada Language and Culture.
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
Winner of several accolades including honorary doctorates and other felicitations for contributions to education, health care, research and social welfare:
- Honorary Doctorate conferred by the Karnatak University, Dharwad in Feb, 2008
- Recipient of Karnataka Government ‘Suvarna Karnataka Rajyotsav Award – 2006’
- Life Time Achievement Award by Veershaiva Samaj of North America in New York in July, 2003
- Recipient of the ‘Outstanding Educationist – 2004’ by ‘Giants International Group’ – award presented by renowned Film Personality Sri Amitabh Bachchan.
- Honoured with “Kannada Vaibhav 2007” in Dec, 2007 by Kannada Sangh Bahrain
- Honoured as “Eminent Educationist” by Karnatak Sangh Qatar, Dec, 2009
- Felicitated at Long Island, New York in 2010 by “Nargis Dutt Foundation”
- “Life Time Achievement Award”, by “TiE – The Indus Entrepreneurs” – a Body of successful entrepreneurs, corporate executives and senior professionals of Silicon Valley, USA in Jan, 2013 at Hubballi. The award was conferred by Shri Ratan Tata in the presence of Mr. Narayan Murthy of Infosys, Chairperson of Global Research Alliance Dr. Raghunath Mashelkar, and President of Deshpande Foundation Dr.Gururaj Deshpande
- Honorary Doctorate by the Rani Channamma University, Belagavi in Feb, 2013
- Honoured by Ms. Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary Health, USA in 2012
- Conferred the Life Time Achievement Award at the Sugar Convention in Oct, 2014 by ‘Bharatiya Sugar’ – a Bi-Monthly Journal – Indian Sugar Industry, Pune
- Honorary Doctorate in Education conferred by the Universiti Sains Malaysia in Nov, 2015. He is only the second Indian after Bharat Ratna, Honorable President Dr APJ Abdul Kalam to receive the honour
- “Life Time Achievement Award” in July, 2016 by The Sugar Technologists Association of India (STAI)
- Awarded ‘Sirigannada Gourav-2016’ by Belagavi Zilla Sahitya Pratishthan, Belagavi
- Awarded “Sri Mrityunjaya Mahant Prashasti 2017’
- Awarded “Angel Award” by The Gift of Life Foundation, New York, USA in Nov, 2017
- Honoured with “Basavasri” Award by Basava Vedike, Bengaluru in April, 2018
- Bestowed with the “Kayaka Ratna” Award in Oct, 2018, at the International “Vachana Sahitya Sammelana”, jointly organized by the Rashtriya Basava Pratishthana & Divya Jyoti Seva Trust, Bengaluru, at Bilva Indian School, Dubai
- Conferred the “Life Time Achievement Award” by Mr. Vinod Tawade, Honourable Minister of School Education, Govt. of Maharashtra at the 5th Edition of Navbharat Educational Conclave in June, 2019.
- Recipient of “Kengal Hanumanthaiah Award” for the year 2020
- Life Time Achievement Award by the prestigious Indo American Press Club USA in May 2022 in New York.
- Honorary degree of Doctor of Science by Thomas Jefferson University (TJU), Philadelphia USA in May, 2022. He is the first Indian to receive this honour
PERMANENT ADDRESS :
AT POST: ANKALI – 591213, TALUKA: CHIKODI, DISTRICT: BELAGAVI,
KARNATAKA STATE, INDIA.
ADDRESS FOR CORRESPONDENCE:
RESIDENCE: “CASA AJMER”, B.C. 92, CHURCH ROAD,
CAMP, BELAGAVI-590 009. KARNATAKA STATE, INDIA.
Mob. +9198453-54747, +919019909747. Tel.: 0091-831-2465577, 2405747
CHAIRMAN, K.L.E.SOCIETY, BELAGAVI- 590 001
KARNATAKA STATE, INDIA.
Telephone No: 0091-831-2404040 (8 Lines), Fax: 091-831-2404060
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,